Goodbye 2020

First I would like to start by wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

The past year, 2020, will be known as one of the most difficult years our generation has had to face. With the global pandemic came many hurdles for people all over the world in addition to the issues that are already ever present. 2020 challenged our mental and physical health but I believe that the past year has also brought many of us together. Social media allowed us to stay connected in all of the isolation and for me this blog has been another way to feel a little less lonely, so thank you for reading. 

As a species we push past the difficulties and look to continually adapt, improve and solve all obstacles. As discussed in my blog, with regards to Africa, the variability of water is a major issue for many people especially as environmental change continues to exacerbate the problems. However, it is not all doom and gloom as there are things that can be done. That is why solutions and adaptations must take place not only in terms of water management but also the reduction of anthropogenic environmental change and this year full of hope has the potential to make a massive difference. I have mentioned some solutions to the issues discussed in this blog however there are so many more actions that can be taken.

World Water Day 2021 will be on the 22nd of March. This years theme focuses on 'Valuing Water', this focus is not solely in economic terms but rather it is a multidisciplinary goal that looks at the social, environmental and cultural value of water as well. I think that this is a really important theme and that it would be wonderful if we could all find a way to included it in our new years resolutions. 
These resolutions could be:
To think of what water means to us whether this is direct or indirect
To be more aware of the value that water holds for different people
To think of what we can do to use this valuable resource more sustainably 
And to find ways to ultimately work towards SDG 6  

Unfortunately, this is the end of my final post...
I hope that you have enjoyed reading this blog as much as I have loved writing it. Looking back at my very first post I believe that what I have learnt and shared with you has further solidified the multidisciplinary aspects to water and environmental change in Africa, which is what I hoped to achieve

Goodbye for now and thank you for reading!

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Variability in Africa

An Introduction

Solving the Water Crisis